Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Oh No, the kids are almost out of school again?

I knew it was too good to be true. I finally get my "alone time" after nine years of raising our boys and now there's likely to be a teacher's strike within the next couple of weeks. Now don't get me wrong. There's a part of me that wants them home. I like when they're here. If they're home in a couple weeks, I look forward to going places that we normally avoid because of the crowds. My complaint is that I just know I'm going to get busy with work and will have no alternative but to sit at my computer while they fight with each other out of boredom. That is what I am dreading.

These f****ing teachers. Our district tried to pass a referendum last year and failed. They did NOTHING to help pass it. For that matter, no one really tried that hard. Who suffers? The kids. Last year our classroom sizes went up into the 30+ student range. Now the teachers are going to strike because, among other things, they want a 24% salary increase. 24%! When is the last time any of us got a 24% raise? Again, who suffers? The kids. It is pathetic. For once, I'd like to see a teacher or administrative member do something truly for the good of the students and not for their own political agenda. If this strike happens, I am taking my boys out on June 15th as planned. I will enjoy our summer traveling with our children and will refuse to make them attend school because of something they had no control over. There are things in life that are more important to me than making our children finish a school year during what should be their summer break. Again, who is suffering here?

Teachers in our district make great salaries. In fact, they set the standard for all other districts in our area. It's no longer 1920. It is time to get rid of the antiquated idea of unions.

8 comments:

The Sour Kraut said...

I just had a terrible thought. My nemesis took her child out of our school this year. (Long story for another blog.) This woman pushes all of my buttons. I try to be pleasant to her face but I think I'm about to burst keeping all my frustration with her inside. Her child now attends a private school.

My terrible realization? Her new school is not subject to the strike. She will gloat and rub it in and flaunt her I-know-best attitude. UGH! I want her to move far, far away.

The Big Finn said...

Why don't you just home school the children? I think you could work it into your working-at-home schedule. You'd be good at it.

Anonymous said...

TBF, HA HA HA! I say it is time to break up the unions. I know this is a weird thing for a self described liberal to say, but their time has come and gone. There are no sweat shops anymore.

Kim said...

Can I hear an "AMEN"? If I didn't know better I would think you guys were Republicans! He He

The Sour Kraut said...

I would be the world's worst home schooler. I consider it a success if I get through homework without losing my patience.

The Big Finn said...

...at least they'd be good spellers.

The Sour Kraut said...

What? Me correct others' spelling? You must have me confused with some crazy, anal-retentive, control freak.

Mrs. TBF said...

I am laughing so hard. I've been away for a couple of weeks and am just catchng up on all the blogs. Love your last comment TSK...you're a changed woman!