As part of My New Lifestyle of 2007, I started my excercise regime yesterday. First, before suiting up with the pooch, I took some "before" pictures of me standing in my undewear and jog bra. Now, I'm a pretty open book, but I do draw the line at posting those photos. Maybe if the "after" photos are worth posting, I will do so then. For now, just be thankful I spared you from viewing them.
I'm starting slowly so Day One just started off with a power walk, short jog, power walk. I should've known how this was going to go when I discovered my iPod was on the fritz. There is nothing worse than working out with no music. I must look on the bright side and appreciate the fact that at least I was with my dog and not alone. Alone with no music and I would've given up without ever going outside.
I got about three houses away and fell flat on my ass on what looked to be damp pavement. The cartoon-like, airborn, flying arc and thud with which my body landed told me it was no mere dampness, but rather a thin coating of ice. The only thing missing was the "weeeoo-oop" slide whistle that always accompanies a fall in cartoons. I checked to see if the pooch's forelimb was intact after a 150+ pound fatty's entire body weight landed smack-dab on top of it. Yes, I did say 150+. Since this past summer, I have been gaining weight at an alarmingly high rate. The medicine I'm on not only makes my body store more fat, it also makes me feel sluggish and hungry ALL THE TIME. But hey, I'm happy and not a nervous wreck like I was a year ago at this time. Ahh, the good life with antidepressants.
I headed toward the neighborhood bike path which runs along some power lines, the school and, as I found out yesterday--testing day--the air raid siren. It was unbelievably, ear-piercingly loud. The dog freaked out. I began to power, power walk. I'm certain that had The Swede been there, he would've said to me what he always says when he sees an overweight woman, thighs rubbing together, "Careful, you just might start a fire."
A short time later, I began my jog. I sensed something following close behind me. Unfortunately, when I spun around to see what it was, I realized it was my own ass. With every step, I could feel every loose muscle and flabby pouch of fat --front and back--bouncing up and down, up and down. As I ran, my only thought was, "When, oh when, will the endorphine-induced euphoria that I've always heard about begin and this searing pain in my lungs and legs end?? Oh, what could be worse?"
I found out today. Day Two's searing pain accompanied by sore muscles.
18 comments:
I feel your pain - I've been sore all day from yesterday's return to the world of exercise (in the form of more yoga than I've done for months). Good luck with the new routine!
My new lifestyle included eating a very robust green vegetable salad for lunch yesterday. Very interesting reaction my body had. A kind of reaction that only Oh The Joy would appreciate.
by the way, you are not fat and would not start a fire. i just want to get healthier so that i get a longer amount of time with you.
I haven't even started my diet yet. We are having friends over on Saturday so I thought I would wait until NEXT Monday.....and next Monday I will wait until.....
You are jogging in the P-town January? I bow down.
There is no snow and today it was almost 50˚ outside.
Good for you! Too bad to hear you fell, I did that when we had the first snow, only I landed squarely on my ass and elbows - and my elbows still hurt!
Keep jogging, maybe you can job into the city?
You might want to ease into the exercising at first - no point in injuring yourself. Maybe you should rest a day between workouts when you're starting out just to give your muscles (and mind) a chance to recover.
I've been on a regular workout schedule for about the last ten years, and I still have to ease back into it even if I go two weeks without working out like I did over Christmas/New Year.
Also, may I recommend one of those workout heart rate monitors? There's a range which is ideal for burning fat, and people often exceed it without realizing it. I used to workout at too fast a pace. Once I slowed down the pace, the fat began "melting" off. YOU CAN DOOOO IT!
I'll stop with the unsolicited advice now.
TBF-Thanks for the advice. Shhh...don't tell the others, but I really never had any searing pain.
I think I may take today easy and just take a long walk with Scout.
TMS - did you post and then delete? I saw it because I subscribe to feed. I wanted you to know that I read it and appreciated it.
Jessica
TSK - I have never been a good exerciser. But, TBF has finally agreed to help me. Tomorrow will be day 3 of my new regimen. This is the year I try to reduce the circumference of my upper arms. Good luck - stick with it - did you get my message??? Haven't heard from you on the date???
Now, I'm a pretty open book, but I do draw the line at posting those photos.
Party pooper! :) Sorry I just couldn't resist. Hey, I got a juicer for Christmas. I'm on my way to becoming Jack Lalanne, but with a better fashion sense.
TMS - Are you censoring yourself again???
What is feed and how does it work?
Why do both OTJ and TBF think TMS posted and deleted?
Yes, I posted a self-indulgent, boring post about my weight. I didn't like the post and then, whammo! I realized there is a big date coming tomorrow for the Sour-Swedes which makes for a much better post.
Dan-
Welcome! Jack Lalanne still looks great and he's 93 or something like that. Glad to hear you won't be copying his jumpsuit. Good luck.
Mrs. TBF-
Yes, we're available and are looking forward to seeing you both. Can we change the menu? I know TMS will be angry that I'm mentioning this but I'd love to go out for something else.
TSK,
Glad you're available - will send an e-mail separately for menu discussion.
I typed TMS, but meant TSK - you guys and your acronyms!
Still, I didn't think it was boring. Thanks for writing it. Maybe I should copy it into my comments...
xo,
J
OTJ-
I think ultimately that's what I didn't like about it. I said I had a lot to say to you and then it turned into a detailed account of my personal history. BORING!
Post a Comment